Translate this page to any language by choosing a language in the box below.
Reporting Foodborne Illnesses - the Information you need - Free
Food Safety - Reporting Illnesses and
Have you experienced food poisoning or other food illness, such as salmonella, botulism, or e. coli, from a purchased food or restaurant? If the company is unresponsive, you may wish to report it to the appropriate government agency. Here's how to do it:
Meat, Poultry, & Egg Products
Seafood, Fruits, Vegetables, & Other Non-Meat Food Products
Food Away from Home E.g. caterers, restaurants, community picnics
- Contact your state or local Health Department.
Phone numbers may be found in your local phone directory.
Advertising and Fraud Complaints
Ground water and drinking water
Reports and complaints about the following should be made to the agencies listed. Phone numbers can be found in your local phone directory:
- Unsolicited products in the mail--U.S. Postal Service
- Accidental poisonings--Poison control centers or hospitals
- Pesticides or air and water pollution--U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Hazardous household products (including toys, appliances, and chemicals)--Consumer Product Safety Commission, 1-800-638-2772
- Alcoholic beverages--Department of Treasury's Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
- Drug abuse and controlled substances--Department of Justice's Drug Enforcement Administration
- Hazardous chemicals in the workplace--Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- Warranties--Federal Trade Commission
- Dispensing and sales practices of pharmacies--State board of pharmacy
- Medical practice--State certification board