Food Safety -
Reporting Illnesses and
Product Complaints

horizontal rule

Back to the Table of Contents page for information on many other subjects!

Back to the main Food Safety page

horizontal rule

Have you experienced food poisoning or other food illness, such as salmonella, botulism, or e. coli,  from a purchased food or restaurant?  If the company is unresponsive, you may wish to report it to the appropriate government agency.  Here's how to do it: horizontal rule

Foodborne Illness

bullet Reporting Foodborne Illness (CDC)  

Meat, Poultry, & Egg Products

bulletContact: Food Safety and Inspection Service of USDA

Seafood, Fruits, Vegetables, & Other Non-Meat Food Products

bulletContact: Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition of FDA

Food Away from Home

E.g. caterers, restaurants, community picnics

bulletContact your state or local Health Department.
Phone numbers may be found in your local phone directory.

Advertising and Fraud Complaints

bulletContact: Federal Trade Commission
bulletContact: State, County and City Government Consumer Protection Offices


Bottled water

bulletContact: Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition of FDA

Ground water and drinking water

bulletContact: Environmental Protection Agency

Dietary Supplements

bulletContact: Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition of FDA

Other Complaints

Reports and complaints about the following should be made to the agencies listed. Phone numbers can be found in your local phone directory:

bulletUnsolicited products in the mail--U.S. Postal Service bulletAccidental poisonings--Poison control centers or hospitals bulletPesticides or air and water pollution--U.S. Environmental Protection Agency bulletHazardous household products (including toys, appliances, and chemicals)--Consumer Product Safety Commission, 1-800-638-2772 bulletAlcoholic beverages--Department of Treasury's Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms bulletDrug abuse and controlled substances--Department of Justice's Drug Enforcement Administration bulletHazardous chemicals in the workplace--Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration bulletWarranties--Federal Trade Commission bulletDispensing and sales practices of pharmacies--State board of pharmacy bulletMedical practice--State certification board

Back to top

This page was updated on 2-Apr-2018